There are special licensing and registration considerations with websites on the Internet. State law does not permit any Registered Representative to solicit, or discuss, investments where they are not registered. Several states, however, have enacted rules specifically pertaining to the Internet, which provides a “safe harbor” to users if they make clear to readers that they are not soliciting in their state. This can also be accomplished by letting the reader know where the Internet publisher is registered and can do business.
Under the Firm’s policy, a Registered Representative may not respond to a client inquiry from any jurisdiction where they are not registered.
The following information should be available on each web site:
- Securities offered through Cetera Financial Specialists LLC, member FINRA / SIPC. Advisory services offered through Cetera Investment Advisers LLC.
- Cetera is under separate ownership from any other named entity. (Firm-approved alternative non-affiliated disclosure may be used in place of this statement)
- This site is published for residents of the United States only. Registered Representatives of Cetera Financial Specialists LLC may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions in which they are properly registered. Not all of the products and services referenced on this site may be available in every state and through every advisor listed. For additional information please contact the advisor(s) listed on the site, visit the Cetera Financial Specialists LLC site at www.ceterafinancialspecialists.com
- Registered Branch Address
- Broker-dealer approved title
Create the following hyperlinks in the footer under the above disclosures:
- From SIPC to www.sipc.org
- From FINRA to www.finra.org
- From important information to www.ceterafinancialspecialists.com/clients
- From Business continuity Plan to https://www.ceterafinancialspecialists.com/businesscontinuity/
Create a hyperlink to FINRA’s BrokerCheck (http://brokercheck.finra.org). FINRA suggests that the following text description be used (with the text “FINRA’s BrokerCheck” being the active hyperlink).
- Check the background of this firm on FINRA’s BrokerCheck .
- Check the background of this investment professional on FINRA’s BrokerCheck .
The hyperlink must be on:
- The initial Web page and
- Any other Web page that includes a professional profile of one or more registered persons who conduct business with retail investors.
- The hyperlink must be readily apparent (should be visible as soon as a person lands on the website and should be set out separately, not buried in a long paragraph.)
- FINRA does not believe that including the required reference and hyperlink to BrokerCheck in a footer would satisfy the “readily apparent” standard.